Saturday, November 7, 2015

Week 2 Child Development and Public Health.

Nutrition/Malnutrition

The reason why I chose the topic of nutrition/Malnutrition was because It is a very important topic today. It is very important for parents to provide nutritious meals to their children, even if you cannot afford it there are programs out that do support people such as WIC, this is a very popular program for new and existing mothers.  This program helps to provide the assistance needed to get those healthy and nutritious meals for children in need. The affects that malnutrition can have on a child can be very dangerous and life threatening. Malnutrition happens when the body does not consume enough food to help aid in the growth of the human being.  It is important for children to have healthy and nutritious meals daily because that is the time when we are growing the most when we are a child, what children eat affect their growth tremendously. Malnutrition is something that does not only happen in the United states but I happens all over the world in places such as china....

Malnutrition In China

The children of rural china face a variety of Different issues that are non existent in the cities and one of the issues happens to be malnutrition.  Unicef estimates that 12.7 million children are stunted in china and this is due to a serious lack of nutrition for the children.  This is a long term affect that happens mostly for children during early childhood.  There are many areas of china that seem to be in a struggle for poverty and it seems to be unbreakable.  This is one of main reasons for the malnutrition in children, The families simply cannot afford to keep their children healthy.  Many parents in china often do not mind spending the money on the food but they don't know the importance nutrition is for children, whereas in America we know the importance and most of the parents just cannot afford it. 

What I learned from this weeks blog assignment is how important it is for children to be healthy.  Going into teaching children it will also be my responsibility to provide food for the children.  Being able to provide nutritious meals on my end as well as expressing the importance to the parents of how important it is to provide nutritious meals will be a duty of mine.  I know that the growth of a child is important and making sure that they grow healthy is key. 

Resource:

 "Malnutrition Plagues Children of Rural China." (2014) http://borgenproject.org/malnutrition-plagues-children-rural-china/. Bridget Tobin.

4 comments:

  1. Brittany:

    Thank you for choosing this topic. Malnutrition and hunger is affecting the world but more specifically, low income areas. At the school I service they offer a weekend backpack program. This program sends children home with food the weekend to ensure children are eating. I am glad you mentioned how the body needs food to function and food also fuels the brain. There are so many campaigns going that discusses how your body needs food, but never talks about how they interact with one another. Thank you for highlighting this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more with you. A good nutrition is needed for a child to develop properly; mentally, physically and emotionally. Without proper feeding, a child's growth becomes stunted. It is usually children in rural areas that get to suffer from these health related issues the most. They are usually faced with nutritional deficiency issues.
    I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also chose malnutrition. I agree with your point of being a teacher you would offer food to your students. My mother worked at a high school and she would give food to students. She did worry if parents would be upset if she gave their children food. The parents may view my mom as try to be better than them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brittany
    I enjoyed reading your post. I agree that good nutrition is needed for a child to develop properly; mentally, physically and emotionally. I remember being told not to give a child the opportunity of seconds while working in a head start. This bothered me because I knew that some of those children only ate if they came to school. The leftover food was often thrown away, but if a child asked me for seconds I could not deny them. I put my job at risk, but to me feeding a hungry child was more important.

    ReplyDelete