Saturday, October 31, 2015

Childbirth in my life and around the world

I do not have any personal experiences with child birth as of yet.  I am sure I will in the future though the only instance where I can remember coming close to getting an experience of child birth is when my Boyfriends cousin gave birth.  We were actually at the hospital with them and I did not get to go in the room but I did get to go in right after she gave birth.  The first thing that I remember is how small and cute the baby was and I remembered the look on her face. It was a sign of so much happiness and relief mixed with exhaustion at the same time.  She was holding her baby girl and gazing into her eyes and it was like it was the only thing she could see nothing else around her mattered.  The way she was looking at her baby girl brought tears to my eyes.  I do remember he saying "The pain was worth it."  She and the baby went to sleep soon after, but that was the closest experience I have gained as far as child birth once I have my own children I am sure that will be a great story to tell.

Germany

 In Holland, Germany women see midwives for their prenatal care. In fact, midwives are so respected that by law a midwife must be present at every birth, and a doctor is optional.
Malin Haugwitz, a Berlin resident who is originally from Bethesda, Maryland, says that German women focus on the event of giving birth almost more than the outcome. Following her second c-section, she heard many words of pity from friends and even from her midwife, who asked, "Do you see it as a failure?"
German women who hold full-time jobs can feel secure knowing their position will be waiting for them when and if they decide to return to work. As soon as a woman tells an employer she's pregnant, she cannot be fired. Thus, during economic downturns, being pregnant can essentially save your job. Women may stop working six weeks before their due date and are forbidden from working for eight weeks after giving birth, all with full pay. Mothers may even take up to three years of unpaid leave, the third being a floating year that can be taken at any time and by either parent.

It was very interesting to read the different birth customs from around the world and how they differ from that of the united states.  The united states does things mostly the same and the women give birth inside of a hospital under the care of Doctors and nurses and it was interesting to see that in other countries it is different and birth customs vary.  This is what makes each county unique in their own way.

Resource:

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/giving-birth/vaginal/birth-customs-around-the-world/

2 comments:

  1. Brittney,
    When your time comes, your birthing experience is going to be beautiful and unique. No two birthing experiences are the same. I read the same information on childbirth in Germany, and I found it very interesting , how the United States childbirth is different from other countries around the world. I really loved to part where the women stop working six weeks before the child is born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting to read that in Germany that having a doctor present during birth is optional. When I researched births in Canada, woman could have midwives, but at some point would have to choose between a doctor or a midwife.

    ReplyDelete