Sunday, July 24, 2016

Practicing awareness of microagressions.

  • Describe at least one example of a microaggression which you detected this week or remember from another time. In what context did the microaggression happen? What did you think and feel when you observed the microaggression or when you found yourself as the target of a microaggression?

One Microagression that I noticed this week was from one of my friends who is African American.  He made a comment to his friend who is mexican that was a verbal racial microagression.  We were in Ihop and there were a lot of mexicans inside of there and it was pretty packed and my friend said to his mexican friend said "why yall people always travel in large groups."  He was referencing mexican people and saying they always travel in large groups together.  I didn't think much of it, I did look at his friend to see his reaction and it didn't seem to bother him as much because they make racial jokes like that a lot and make jokes about it.  His friend didn't really care but it someone else heard they may have taken offense to it.  

  • In what ways did your observation experiences this week affect your perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people
This week with learning about microagressions and the different types of discrimination or prejudice it made me think of times when it was happening and I would really overlook it. Things like the comments people would make on race and how people treated others.  I am a pretty observant person, but this week taught me that there are a lot of things that I overlook.  With my friends they make racial jokes all the time and we all joke about it, but I wonder if it really affects them in a way even when they are laughing and joking around.  I will myself be more aware of what I say although I am not really a person to make comments about race or color, I can be more alert and not encourage it by not saying anything at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment