Sunday, April 30, 2017

What I have learned. and special thanks..

Throughout this course I have learned so much about children and diversity. One hope that I have when working with children who come from diverse backgrounds is to be able to build a special bond and relationship so that they are comfortable.  I want every child and family to feel like they belong and are understood by me especially as an educator.  I want them to be open and trust me fully and that will be the foundation to make a real impact on a child's life.

One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field in issues related to social justice, diversity, and equity would be to be more of a leader and begin to build my own community of people who are for children and diversity and their growth and development also to spread awareness.  Helping others recognize their biases all while working on my own.  A lot of people don't know the impact we as adults and educators have on children and their growth and development and I want to make it my job to let it be known.

Throughout the course I have learned so much from my fellow colleagues and gained a lot of insight to things and I want to say thank you to all of you for your input and as well as your insight to me.  I wish you all much success in your continued Journey here at Walden and beyond!

2 comments:

  1. Brittney,
    I enjoyed reading your hope and goal as you continue on the journey of being an anti-bias educator. I also believe that all children should be valued, respected, and feel as if they belong. I feel it’s important to have an open mind and heart and to always focus on the whole child. “Young children need caring adults to help them construct a positive sense of self and respectful understanding of others (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.11). We have the power and now the knowledge to help shape the minds of young children in our classroom. I have learned a lot through this course and through my self-reflections. To become a better anti-bias educator we have all had the chance to search within ourselves and learn about our own biases and transform those biases. “Ultimately, the most important thing we bring to our teaching is who we are. Deepening our understanding of who we are now and how we came to be that person is at the heart of becoming a strong anti-bias teacher” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 22).

    Thank you for sharing,
    Staci

    References
    Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittney, trust is something that is very important when dealing with children and families. If you don't have the trust of the child or the parents, then nothing can be accomplished. Thank you for all of your feedback during the course. Hope to hear from you in future courses!

    ReplyDelete