Sunday, September 11, 2016

Verbal and Non verbal communication

I chose a scene from a movie called there's something about Mary. The scene is between Mary and Ben Stiller's character.  While watching the scene without sound, I could tell that the two knew each other and Ben had some sort of feelings for Mary, They are both happy in the scene and been is kind of nervous that is what I am reading from his facial expressions.  They may just be having a casual conversation, but Mary looks like she is flirting or maybe that is just her personality because she is smiling and laughing a lot and Ben seems to be listening and admiring her very well, he doesn't seem as comfortable as she does.  

I watched the same scene with sound and for the most part I was right, In the scene they are talking about school and different things, they know each other but have never had a relationship prior to speaking, he didn't even know mary knew his name.  He was really nervous and she said yes to going to prom with him, he was really nervous like I previously thought and he really liked Mary.  Based on the assumptions I made on the scene in the movie a lot of the characters facial and body behaviors made it easy to interpret what was going on in the scene without sound.  If i were watching something that I know really well I would have nailed it to a T.  

While watching this I realized how much physical communication can be and how you can understand and interpret people based on their physical and facial expressions and not only the words that they are saying.  Sometimes their body movement and face say a whole lot more than just the words alone and that is important to look at when communicating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment